Leveraging Philanthropy and Collaboration
The Lodestar Foundation seeks to expand the overall capacity of the social sector by promoting philanthropy, volunteering, public service, nonprofit collaboration and other business practices.
Our Philanthropic Philosophy
The Lodestar Foundation was created to put into practice a set of five interrelated sequential principles:
- The basic goal of all humans is inner happiness.
- Happiness can only be found by identifying and striving to achieve a meaningful purpose for one's existence.
- One meaningful purpose is to endeavor to help one’s fellow man.
- Although there are countless ways to help, ultimately the ability to help is limited by one’s time, money and other resources.
- By identifying and adopting a mission that is not focused on any specific field of interest and focusing instead on leveraging resources (that is, providing the most help with the most effective and efficient use of resources) and applying those resources to processes that affect the entire social sector, those resources can maximize the impact of helping others and thereby magnify the opportunity to achieve happiness.*
These principles form the basis upon which Lodestar’s mission has been developed.
*Of course, there are many ways funders who focus on one or more fields of interest effectively maximize their impact and, indeed, Lodestar's mission would be futile if not for the vast majority of funders who support specific social causes.